Our team has observed many residences and schools, listened, met, requested the assistance of specialists, which shared their enlightened advices. From these meet-ups, we retain the following facts:
- The MARPA-École model is inspiring. (Live together video – 52 minutes).
- L’école du dehors (in 3 Doubs schools) a school where teachers go out of the the school walls. Successful and convincing experiment of school in nature.
- The residents’s cooperative is a living form that answers numerous criterias for the eco-residence as we envisage it.
- The creation of a residents’ cooperative must be well prepared by all stakeholders, from the start of the project until its completion. The monitoring of the project must be ensured by the future inhabitants (gathered in association) so that they can defend their opinions and their interests.
- The establishment of horizontal governance is necessary for a harmonious living together.
- The habitat must correspond to the ecological standards such as BBC (Low Consumption Building), Minergie P-Eco and others.
The decree of December 21, 2015 sets the rules for the creation of residents’ cooperatives and allocation companies and self-promotion. These legal entities will enable residents wishing to design, build and manage their housing themselves to come together.
“The inhabitants cooperative are variable capital companies (…) which aim to provide their natural persons associates with the enjoyment of housing as their principal residence and to contribute to the development of their collective life (…) . ” (extracts from articles L200-1 and L200-2 of the Construction and Housing Code)
The residents of the cooperative are a group of people who manage together the homes they occupy:
- Democratic process based on the values of equality, transparency in management and everyone’s participation in decisions. “One person = one voice”
- Tenants of their homes (pay the cooperative a fee, the amount of which depends on both the area of the home and the family’s income) and owners of the cooperative (which owns the building) through the purchase of shares .
- No real estate speculation. The rents reflect the real cost of operating the building and are lower than the local market given the involvement of the co-operators in its management.
LecoLab has delimited the project as a whole and will present it to the biggest number of people so as to find suitable land. Then follow the different phases of the cooperative housing project:
Steps of the futur project
The eco-residence will include a school (3 rooms open on the recreation area) as well as the kitchen and a dining room. All spaces are shared spaces with he eco-residence in the residents cooperative.